From books to movies, stories have been a powerful form of expression for countless generations. But as technology becomes increasingly more powerful, it’s easy to wonder if artificial intelligence (AI) will ever be able to replicate the creativity and imagination of humans. In this article, we take a closer look at why the widely hailed ChatGPT is not (yet) capable of writing stories on its own with the same sass, candour and sincerity that human authors do.
What is ChatGPT?
ChatGPT or a chat-based general purpose translator is a computer programme that can translate between two languages. It is designed to handle the translation of conversational dialogue. At this stage, it is not well-suited for the task of writing stories. This is because stories require a higher level of linguistic ability than conversations, as well as an understanding of plot and character development. ChatGPT is not actually capable of such things; translations are often stilted and unnatural, and lack the creativity necessary to write an interesting story.
ChatGPT in the context of automation
In the context of automation, ChatGPT's purpose is to reduce the need for manual labour in customer service, freeing up people to do more strategic work. The chatbot is able to handle simple questions and tasks, such as providing product information or scheduling appointments. This can free up customer service representatives to handle more complex issues, which in turn can lead to improved customer satisfaction.
Also read: Humanizing work in the age of AI
Understanding human creativity for storytelling
Humans are the only species on Earth that can tell stories. And while ChatGPT can generate a seemingly unlimited amount of text in one go, it lacks the creativity and imagination needed to create a truly good story.
What exactly is creativity?
According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, creativity is “the ability to create something new that has value.” This value can be emotional, intellectual, or social. Most people think of creativity as a process of coming up with new ideas, but it’s much more than that. Creativity also involves executing those ideas in a way that is effective and meaningful.
There are four main elements of creativity:
To be creative, you must be able to come up with original ideas, see things from different perspectives, quickly adapt to changing conditions, and express your ideas easily and fluently.
While ChatGPT may have some level of originality, flexibility, and adaptability, it is still missing out on fluency. They cannot express their ideas in a way that is natural and easy for humans to understand. In addition, ChatGPT does not have the capacity for empathy and other emotions, which are essential for creating a good story.
Using AI over human storytelling
The pros of using AI
- AI can generate ideas faster than a human can, and it can also come up with ideas that a human wouldn’t think of
- AI can help to edit and proofread a story, catching errors that a human might miss
The cons of using AI
- AI is still not as good as a human when it comes to actually writing the story
- A chatbot might be able to come up with an interesting plot, but it will likely struggle with creating believable characters and dialogue
- While AI can help with proofreading, it’s not yet able to catch all errors
- Human creativity is still needed to write a truly great story
Examples of ChatGPT failing to create unique stories
To evaluate the creativity of ChatGPT, I conducted a small experiment. I selected one topic and gave instructions to the ChatGPT and composed my own version of the story. The results showed ChatGPT struggling to produce original stories, since the text produced is often generated by simply replicating pre-existing texts. Consequently, stories created using this method tend to be unremarkable and, well, BLAND.
The benefits of learning new skills at work
Career advancement: New skills can help you take on new responsibilities and advance in your career.
Increased job security: Learning new skills makes you more valuable to your current employer and more attractive to potential employers.
Higher earning potential: Having a diverse set of skills can increase your earning potential, as you can take on more complex and higher-paying tasks.
Improved problem-solving: New skills can broaden your perspective and give you new tools to tackle problems and find solutions.
Increased confidence: Gaining new knowledge and mastery of new skills can boost your confidence and self-esteem.
Enhanced personal growth: Learning new skills can help you grow and develop as a person, both professionally and personally.
Version Rakhee Sharma
Sharpen your skills: Unlock the benefits of consistent learning at work
Learning is a lifelong process that helps us grow and develop our skillset. With the ever-evolving modern workplace, it’s vital for professionals to stay on top of current trends and sharpen their existing skills. In this blog post, we discuss the different benefits of learning new things at work, from improved productivity to enhanced job satisfaction. Let’s take a closer look!
Tips to learn new skills
1. Keep your learning goals in mind: What do you hope to gain from expanding your skill set? Is there a particular task or project you're looking to complete? Having a clear objective will help keep you motivated and focused as you tackle the learning process.
2. Do your research: There are endless resources available online, so take advantage of them! Once you have a basic understanding of the skill, start practising it in small increments until you feel comfortable using it in a work setting.
3. Ask for help: If you're struggling to learn a new skill on your own, reach out to someone who is already proficient in it and ask for guidance. Having somebody to answer your questions and provide feedback will make the learning process much smoother.
4. Be patient with yourself: Learning something new can be challenging, so cut yourself some slack if things aren't progressing as quickly as you'd like. Remember that everyone learns at their own pace, so continue working at it and eventually you'll get there!
Tips for Effective Learning
1. Make time for it: Learning new things takes time and effort. You need to be intentional about making time for it in your schedule.
2. Set goals: What do you want to learn? What skills do you want to acquire? Setting goals will help keep you focused and motivated.
3. Find a learning partner: A learning partner can help hold you accountable and keep you on track. Plus, it's more fun to learn with someone else!
4. Take advantage of resources: There are plenty of resources available to help you learn new things, both in person and online. Seek out books, articles, podcasts, courses, etc. that can help you reach your goals.
5. Don't be afraid to make mistakes: Learning is all about experimentation and trying new things. Don't be afraid to fail; simply use your mistakes as opportunities to learn and grow.
Benefits of consistent learning, career advancement and development
Perhaps the most obvious benefit is that employees who engage in consistent learning are able to keep their skills sharp and up-to-date. This is important in today’s fast-paced, ever-changing business world. Employees who can adapt quickly and easily to change are a valuable asset to any company.
In addition to keeping their skills sharp, employees who engage in consistent learning also open themselves up to new opportunities for career advancement and development. As they learn new things, they not only improve their own skills but also become more marketable and attractive to potential employers. Their increased knowledge and expertise can lead to promotions or raises within their current organisation, or even help them land a new job if they decide to move on from their current company.
With so many opportunities available at work to sharpen your skills, there’s no excuse not to take advantage of them. Investing in yourself can bring about a wide variety of personal and professional benefits, so equip yourself for success with consistent learning at work. Remember that effort is key – it’s up to you to make the most of the resources around you!
It's evident that ChatGPT generated content can't compare with what a human creates. Compared to a human creator, ChatGPT's content lacks complexity and usually fails to capture somebody's attention. Additionally, this technology relies on fixed traits for characters, as well as data on the internet which isn't necessarily credible or multi-dimensional.
ChatGPT has allowed us to investigate the potential of artificial language. However, due to the restrictions of their programming, they are unable to come up with stories in a creative or imaginative fashion. It is only through human ingenuity that we can craft fascinating works of literature.