The traditional work environment has fragmented into different types of workspaces, with employees now digitally connected by video and teleconferencing applications. Working from home can result in feelings of isolation due to social separation and changes in work demands may lead to fatigue. Employees are also exposed to inconsistent workstation ergonomics, home hazards such as stairs and unkept toys. Even after the COVID-19 pandemic has passed, working from home may remain a part of every employee’s workweek and expectations.
Chubb announced today the launch of Work from Home (WFH) Insurance, a market-first in Asia Pacific. As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the traditional office environment has increasingly become the home, as work from home becomes the new normal. As businesses adapt to living with COVID-19 and beyond, working from home is expected to remain a part of an employee's work-life. Chubb's Work from Home Insurance has been tailored to enable employers to continue to care for the health, safety and well-being of their employees whilst they work remotely. Some of the features of this insurance includes:
- Mental Health Support A payment for the mental health / psychological counseling expenses of employees diagnosed with stress disorders caused or contributed to by, working from home arrangements.
- Ergonomics Injury: A payment for employees to cover any surgery costs required as a result of a postural or ergonomic injury caused by poor home workspace design or conditions.
- Ergonomics Prevention: A payment for an Occupational Therapist consultation to address diagnosis for postural or ergonomic stress or strain and to cover the cost of any recommended equipment.
- Domestic Perils: Slip & Falls: A payment to employees or their estate to cover expenses as a result of an Accidental Death or Permanent Disability due to an accident at home. Includes a daily benefit up to 14 days for any extended leave required following a serious injury at home.
- Domestic Perils: A payment for employees for serious burns received as a result of cooking while working from home.
- Mobile Office: A payment if an employee needs or chooses to take their work outside and suffers an Accidental Death or Permanent Disability. Includes a daily benefit up to 14 days for any extended leave required following a serious injury.
With this insurance, employees diagnosed with stress disorders due to working from home will receive mental health payment for their psychological counseling. In addition to that, it also covers ergonomic injury and prevention benefits for postural injuries/strains resulting from inconsistent workstation setups. This coverage includes the event of accidental death and permanent disability payments for slips and falls within the home from hazards.
Ben Howell, Deputy Head of Regional Accident & Health at Chubb in Asia Pacific said, “Chubb anticipates that companies will continue to encourage workspace flexibility even as lockdown measures are easing across the region. Although employees have adjusted well to being digitally connected from home via videoconferencing and other applications, there are emerging risks as a result of this new work arrangement. It is timely for Chubb to launch our Work from Home Insurance to meet the evolving employee care and benefit needs.”